Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lucky

Mark, Max and I went to a party of one of my students this afternoon. This student was just recently adopted by his foster family, and they were having an Open House to celebrate his adoption. This little boy couldn't ask for a better family to be welcomed into, and I am SO happy for him. His mom and dad have been wonderful to work with this school year, and they are just so caring and compassionate. It really makes you think - because not all kids in foster care, or even who aren't in foster care, have great families. Most of my students that I see on a daily basis come from terrible home lives and broken families. Gena, her husband and their boys came to the party as well - and as I watched Max laugh and play with her boys, I couldn't help but be thankful for the life and opportunities Mark and I are able to provide him with. Which, in turn, made me thankful for my own parents - who raised me in a wonderful family and household, and gave me the opportunity to pursue and have a great life. In turn, my own family now has a wonderful life - which I am eternally greatful for. Unlike other kids, my kids will know when their next meal is coming. They will have clothes that are clean and are their size because I can afford laundry detergent and new clothes when needed. They will have numerous games, books and toys, because their dad and I are able to have nice paying jobs to provide them with that. They will not have to worry about abuse or neglect. They will grow up in a house where education is valued, and their good old mom will make sure their homework is complete and correct. Everyday, I see kids come to school with marks on them....hungry....in clothes that do not fit....homework not completed, parents not involved. It's sad. And I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment